by James Colquhoun
When I was first introduced to apple cider vinegar when making the Food Matters movie, I was absolutely blown away by its incredible health benefits, and have continued to be astounded by this little elixir of goodness to this day.
A natural, inexpensive, anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, metabolism-firing, immunity-building miracle worker, apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries for its positive lifestyle effects, and I, for one, couldn’t be more of an advocate.
Here are my top 25 reasons for grabbing a bottle (or ten!) of this liquid marvel and making it a part of your daily life*.
*NB: I am talking about the organic, unfiltered, and raw version of apple cider vinegar, that contains the ‘mother’ strand of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria.
1. SPEEDS UP METABOLISM + AIDS WEIGHT LOSSApple cider vinegar is known to kick metabolism into overdrive! An effective fat burner, it helps reduce overeating (allows you to recognize when you are full quicker), speeds up the body’s metabolic rate and helps alkalize the body. For results, one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water should be consumed before each meal.
2. ERADICATES DANDRUFFHaving a bad scalp day? Let apple cider vinegar help! Add apple cider vinegar to water in equal parts, and then bathe your scalp in the solution for up to two hours (apply via a spray bottle). This will cleanse your scalp and rid it of dandruff. You can do this a couple of times a week for severe dandruff.
3. SHINES HAIRTo remove the product build-up that dulls hair, wash your hair with normal shampoo, and then rinse with apple cider vinegar before conditioning. Cue a shiny mane!
4. CLEARS UP SKINI love what apple cider vinegar can do for the skin! For a natural astringent, apply a washcloth soaked in diluted apple cider vinegar to your face. This will restore your skin to its proper pH level, and make your face feel smoother and less oily (even reducing fine lines in the process). If you have any specific trouble spots i.e. age spots or acne, a dab of neat apple cider vinegar will do the trick.
5. DETOXES THE HOMEA simple cup of apple cider vinegar added to 3.5 liters of warm water makes for a super shiny antibacterial cleaner on most surfaces, including wooden floors and tiles. Too easy!
6. HEALS A SORE THROATIf you add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to half a cup of water, you have a very effective throat gargle. Gargle every hour at the first sign of a sore throat.
7. TREATS INSECT BITESIf you suffer an insect bite, a dab of apple cider vinegar and water (a 50:50 mixture) can be applied directly to the bite to alleviate pain and promote healing.
8. SOOTHES SUNBURNAs we look forward to spring in the northern hemisphere, apple cider vinegar is amazing at helping reduce the irritation of sunburn – calming the skin and cooling the heat. Mix up a solution of 25% apple cider vinegar and 75% water, and apply directly to any sunburn with a washcloth. Alternatively, you can always add apple cider vinegar to a bath.
10. CLEANS THE DISHWASHERInstead of adding poisonous chemicals to your dishwashing machine to remove build-up, apple cider vinegar works just as well (if not better) and keeps it smelling fresh. Toss a cup of it into the bottom of an empty dishwasher and run a normal cycle.
11. ENHANCES MOODApple cider vinegar taken before meals helps break down proteins into amino acids. Such amino acids are instrumental in the creation of tryptophan, which plays an important role in the release of the ‘feel-good’ neurotransmitter serotonin. This helps you feel relaxed and happy.
12. INCREASES ENERGYApple cider vinegar contains enzymes which help prevent exhaustion. Add a tablespoon to a small glass of water.
13. CURES ACID REFLUX AND HEARTBURNWhenever I suffer from acid reflux or heartburn, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar sorts it out pronto! Helpful in breaking down food in the stomach, it is a natural and effective way to aid digestion.
14. CLEANS DRAINSTired of spending a fortune on nasty drain chemicals? You don’t have to anymore with your own natural DIY solution of apple cider vinegar, baking soda and salt. Mix half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of salt together, and pour it down your drain, followed by half a cup of apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar and baking soda react with each other to clean the drain. After three hours, flush the drain through with water.
15. IS A GREAT FABRIC CONDITIONERIf you are looking for a natural and harmless way to keep your clothes feeling soft (without resorting to toxic nasties), apple cider vinegar is the answer. Adding half a cup of apple cider vinegar to your machine instead of regular fabric conditioner is all it takes.
16. ERADICATES FOOT ODORSuffer from smelly feet? Spray your feet with equal parts water and apple cider vinegar solution. The acid in the apple cider vinegar will help fight off bacteria that causes the smell. It is also great for foot fungus, so a winner all-round.
17. AIDS JOINT MOBILITYApple cider vinegar dissolves uric acid in the body, aiding joint mobility. Just add one to two cups to a warm/hot bath and have a soak for up to 30 minutes, ensuring you drink plenty of water before and afterwards.
18. IS AN AWESOME AFTERSHAVEA brilliant aftershave, apple cider vinegar helps prevent razor burn and other soreness from shaving. Dilute 50:50 with water, and apply as you would a regular aftershave. Don’t worry about the initial smell, this disappears once the vinegar has dried.
19. AIDS DIGESTIONApple cider vinegar contains pectin which soothes intestinal spasms. Drink one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in a cup of water before eating to help reduce gas and bloating.
20. SHINES WINDOWSIf you can’t see out of your windows due to dirt, don’t reach for the supermarket window spray. Create a 50:50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water, and spray it onto your windows. Wait for the windows to dry and then wipe them with a paper towel to remove smears.
21. GETS RID OF WARTSSoak a cotton ball in neat apple cider vinegar and tape it to your wart overnight for as many nights as it takes.
22. ELIMINATES HICCUPSA spoonful of pure apple cider vinegar triggers nerves in the throat stopping hiccups dead! For real!
23. IS A SUPER DEODORANTApple cider vinegar is a natural deodorant, and can be applied to your armpits to neutralize odors.
24. ELIMINATES BAD BREATHKnown for its odor-eating qualities, a gargle of apple cider vinegar diluted in water for ten minutes is a great way to restore your breath.
25. HELPS REDUCE THE SYMPTOMS OF ARTHRITIS, TENDONITIS + GOUT.Is your body sore? A soothing apple cider vinegar bath might be just what you need to rid your body of pain. Add a cup to your next soak.
BMSS Addendumby Gregg Prescott
In addition to the many uses listed above, I’ve used apple cider vinegar to remove moles on my body. You can find out more here: How To Remove A Mole With Apple Cider Vinegar